Selling your house on your own can be a daunting task which can give you unnecessary stress. It is easier to hire a good real estate agent who will take care of all the details. But, you have to make sure that you do get a good agent.
1. Look for an agent who specialize in the kind of property you have. Then check on his or her sales record. A long line of successful sales is what you should check for here.
2. Find referrals. Your family and friends would have encountered agents at some point. They will be able to advice you on the good and the bad that they encountered.
3. Once you build up your shortlist, call them up and set up interviews. As you talk to them, try and determine their level of experience. The more experience they have, the better your chances of a sale.
4. Take your time in evaluating them. This will really pay off in the end, because you will end up choosing the best option available.
5. Understand the fees and commissions structure. This can done best by requesting for a listing agreement. You should also ask for an approximate listing price as well as maximum duration expected for the sale to happen.
6. Request for past client’s phone numbers. Call them up and ask them about their experiences with this real estate agent.
Although this process takes time, it is worthwhile in the end because you are assured of a sale. Unless you own a hot piece of real estate, this would be the most prudent approach to take.